Malaria and blood transfusion

amber justin at modulartech.com
Sat Nov 21 05:57:54 EST 1998

I would be very grateful is someone could answer a question for me.
Is it possible to contract malaria from blood transfusions and if so does
blood have to be screened for the protozoan in areas where it is endemic.
I would be very grateful if you could also give any details of mechanisms as
well.
This question was prompted due to a question from one of my A level
students, I told her that i don't think it can be however I would find out
for certain.  I cannot however find any information - even through the web,
so anything would be appreciated.
            Thanks
                Amber.