Malaria and blood transfusion

James Mahaffy mahaffy at DORDT.EDU
Sat Nov 21 09:35:12 EST 1998

amber wrote:

> I would be very grateful is someone could answer a question for me.
> Is it possible to contract malaria from blood transfusions and if so does
> blood have to be screened for the protozoan in areas where it is endemic.
> I would be very grateful if you could also give any details of mechanisms as
> well.
> This question was prompted due to a question from one of my A level
> students, I told her that i don't think it can be however I would find out
> for certain.  I cannot however find any information - even through the web,
> so anything would be appreciated.
>             Thanks
>                 Amber.
]

Amber,

Since I grew up in Eritrea, East Africa and have had Malaria, I knew
the  blood folks would not take my blood until I had been symptom free
for seven years.  A search of medline (your student can search it free
on the web) using red cross and malaria [other terms brought in too
much] brought in a number of articles indicating that it is one of
several blood parasites that can be transmitted through the blood. One
article citation is: Vox Sang 1998;74 Suppl 2:161-3 .

--
James Mahaffy (mahaffy at dordt.edu)      Phone: 712 722-6279
Biology Department                     FAX :  712 722-1198