endoparasites for lab study

Dr. Peter W. Pappas pappas.3 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 24 13:10:45 EST 1998

Kristin:

I can not comment on which parasite you should select, since I am not sure
what you are trying to accomplish.  However, I think that you should also
consider the "problems" associated with keeping animals in the lab,
especially animals that might be infected with parasites.  You will likely
have to file some type of "animal protocol" describing in detail how many
animals you will be using, what species, and what you will be doing with
them.  You may also have to deal with a 'biohazards committee" if you are
using a potential pathogen.  Thus, in making a selection of which parasite
to use, you might want to select one that will minimize these problems.

Dr. Peter W. Pappas, Professor
Department of Evolution, Ecology, and
     Organismal Biology
Director, Introductory Biology Program