Can anyone answer this? =)

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at iupui.edu
Fri Sep 11 11:20:40 EST 1998

Briefly, I'd suggest that no existing phylum lacks parasitic
representatives; I wrote a related theoretical article in 1983.  Intimate
multi-species interactions seem to be a fundamental characteristic of life.
 Perhaps this necessity and other factors generate opportunities for
lackeys and bad apples to become successful parasites or pathogens.

Jerry

At 05:12 PM 9/10/98 -0700, Marc Weber wrote:
>Dr. Pappas,
>Thanks for responding... I had one more question...
>    Of the existing phyla, are there any organisms that dont have any (
zero )
>parasitic representatives?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Sami.
>
>Dr. Peter W. Pappas wrote:
>
>> An answer to this question depends on how you define "parasite" and "major
>> phylum."  Moreover, since taxonomists have not yet identified all the
>> animals in any phylum, it is impossible to answer this question.
>>
>> Compaq2 wrote in message <35F71590.2D626885 at hotmail.com>...
>> >Hi everyone,
>> >    What major phylum has no parasitic representatives?
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >Sami.

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor