A moderated Parasite List

Stephen Kayes SKAYES at USAMAIL.USOUTHAL.EDU
Thu Mar 4 11:31:32 EST 1999

To the Parasitologists on the list:

In response to my post of two weeks ago, I received mostly positive responses to my suggestion that the list be moderated.  I tracked down the FAQ sheet of the BioSci usenet groups and checked up on what is necessary to begin the metamorphosis to a moderated list.  It involves getting the person or persons who initiated the charter to agree to have the list moderated.  The organizers of this group were the Toronto group including Drs. Dan Brooks, Sherwin Desser, and Henry Hong.  I have not yet contacted them as yet as I want to get as many responses as possible.  Many of the people who have responded I recognized or know from their past participation but I don't know how many "lurkers" we have and I certainly would like to hear from them.

So Reply to this message with either a "MODERATE" or DON'T MODERATE".

I am willing to moderate this list to the extent that our charter said that the list serve was intended to disseminate research pertaining the discipline of parasitology.  We are not a clinical news group nor are we a clearing house for Tropical Medicine although I think common courtesy dictates that legitimate requests for referrals to help be given if possible.  Bob Lewis (Alloprimate House) has also volunteered to help moderate the list I would recommend that the two us communicate and work out a solution to offer up to the list.

Lastly, I received a phone call from one member of the alternate groups who has been posting to our site.  She made a cogent and lucid argument for not moderating the group and we are continuing to have discussions to see if we can help her and those who she represents, find web space of their own.

Dr. Steve Kayes