Cyclospora

Margaret Rodgers Margaret_Rodgers at bc.sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 9 04:27:16 EST 1999

I was recently diagnosed with cyclospora and it was a complete mystery
as to how I acquired it. According to the local public health dept.
there were no other known reported cases in the area, indeed apparently
in Canada. I had not been out of the country, I had not eaten out in
restaurants during the incubation time, and had eaten at home because I
had visitors in town to have open heart surgery (wife staying with me,
then patient recuperating before flying home to B.C. interior). We
cooked in, always wash veggies and fruit carefully, and no-one else got
the disease.
Any ideas? It was miserable, and took the doctors ages to diagnose
because they didn't originally ask for anything but the most
eliminentary stool analysis.
After reading all about it on the Internet I sent my doctor a copy of
the section on health care of cyclospora for professionals!
I feel completely mystified about how I got the parasite, and am
extremely glad I am not allergic to the sulphur drugs which seem to have
cured it. Hopefully, these parasites do not stick around in the jejunum
and reappear later.
Any ideas for me?
Maggie