Cyclospora

Judy/Bob Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Tue Mar 9 19:00:42 EST 1999

At our lab (here in the U.S.) the doctor must specifically ask for us to
look for Cyclospora, otherwise, we do not perform the additional stains
(at additional cost) to look for this organism.  It is not readily seen
by traditional Ova and Parasite concentration methodology or by
trichrome staining.  We use a Kinyoun stain normally used for acid fast
bacteria to see Cyclospora.  This will also show Cryptosporidium sp.,
which, again, must be specifically ordered by the physician.  Hope this
helps.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology