Fecal flotations

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Thu Mar 11 17:15:41 EST 1999

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Judy/Bob Dilworth wrote:

>I know that flotation is "the other" methodology for fecal parasites.
>In the labs I've worked at we've always used the ethyl acetate with
>formalin method, using the sediment for our slide preparations.  I'm not
>sure why this is.  Any other M.T.'s out there that know why?

	you raised an interesting point regarding "the other technique"
because the flotation procedures are covered in the Orihel and Ash methods
book published by ASCP as well as the Garcia et al and Price textbooks.
These all seem to have a human diagnostic parasitology focus.  What
technique is taught in the MT programs, and what references are used? I
suspect the issue is cost containment, and I have seen studies that
purport to have increased sensitivity for detecting Giardia by
sedimentation compared to ZnSO4.  I don't really believe it based on my
experience, and I suspect that if this was really true there would not be
the proliferation of ELISA and IFA based techniques to assist one with
identification of Giardia, and Cryptosporidium.

     *  Charles T. Faulkner, Ph.D.                  *
     *  Clinical Parasitology Service               *
     *  Dept. of Comparative Medicine               *
     *  2407 River Drive                            *
     *  Knoxville, TN 37996-4500                    *
     *  Voice: (423) 974-5645  Fax: (423) 974-5640  *
     *  E-Mail: ctfaulkner at utk.edu                  *