Epidermal Zoonotic Nematodes?!?

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Fri Mar 12 08:22:26 EST 1999

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, lurker wrote:

>My post was not a joke!
>
>  I am totally serious here, please, serious responses only!  I would not
>waste your time with B.S., ok?

	David's reply that it may be Pelodera strongyloides is a real
possibility. This parasite is a free-living nematode that frequently
inhabits decaying organic matter such as damp straw bedding found in
barns, sheds, etc.  The parasite is capable of producing a puritic
dermatitis in accidental hosts like humans, cattle, swine, and dogs who
come in contact with the infected bedding.  The adult parasite is 1-2mm
long and will penetrate the skin of the host. If you have persistent
problems you should contact a physician for a definitive diagnosis and
treatment plan.  Hope this is helpful.

     *  Charles T. Faulkner, Ph.D.                  *
     *  Clinical Parasitology Service               *
     *  Dept. of Comparative Medicine               *
     *  2407 River Drive                            *
     *  Knoxville, TN 37996-4500                    *
     *  Voice: (423) 974-5645  Fax: (423) 974-5640  *
     *  E-Mail: ctfaulkner at utk.edu                  *