Parasite concentration methods

Judy/Bob Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Fri Mar 12 16:25:43 EST 1999

Unfortunately, it's a matter of money and government regulations.  Our
routine O&P procedure does not include a slide for Cryptosporidium. It
also takes more tech time (=money) and reagents (=money) to do this
procedure.  If the doc doesn't specify this organism, we would be "out
of compliance" with regards to Medicare and insurance companies and
could get into a lot of legal problems.  We include a comment with our
report that we do not include stains for Cryptosporidium or
Microsporidium.  We discussed this very question and that is the
compromise we had to come up with, as reimbursements are lousy as it is,
let alone have a higher cost that wouldn't be reimbursable.  Working for
an independent regional laboratory as opposed to a hospital laboratory
makes the tech much more aware of money issues.  In a hospital, you are
somewhat shielded from the nuts and bolts accounting of lab costs,
however, this is not nearly as true nowadays as in the '80's.  Costs
loom large in hospitals and the techs are feeling it more - but that's
another topic and another newsgroup.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology since 1974