Parasite concentration methods

STRELKM at CAHL.DATCP.STATE.WI.US STRELKM at CAHL.DATCP.STATE.WI.US
Fri Mar 12 14:44:29 EST 1999

    I am a MT (ASCP) (I also have a Masters Degree in Microbiology). When I
    graduated from the Univ. of Illinois School of Medical Technology in
    1967, I was taught to perform a direct saline and iodine prep, a
    formalin-ether concentration and a stained smear(hematoxylin) on fecal
    specimens received for parasitology work-up. I worked in hospital
    microbiology labs for twenty years at four different hospitals in
    different cities in Illinois. A few minor changes took place. We
    switched from ether to ethyl acetate. We switched to a Trichrome stain
    from HE. We added a direct acid-fast stain in the 1980's when we
    learned about Cryptosporidia. When I left human medicine in 1990 and
    started working in Veterinary microbiology,  I learned flotation
    concentration techniques for the first time. My laboratory (the
    Wisconsin Animal Health Laboratory) switched from sucrose flotations to
    ZNSO4 floatations about five years ago. (Our observation was that ZNSO4
    was superior to sucrose for Giardia and we occasionally found bovine or
    feline lungworm on our ZNSO4 flotations. Yes, I know the Baermann
    technique is best for lungworm but it is not part of our routine set-up
    unless the submitting veterinarian suspects lungworm and specifically
    requests a Baermann).

    When I left human medicine in 1990, the most common parasites we found
    in the northern Illinois hospital I was working in were Giardia and
    Cryptosporidia (about 50-50). I find it surprising that many human
    clinical microbiology laboratories do not include a test for
    Cryptosporidia as part of the "routine" parasitology workup.

    Finally, I think that many inexperienced Medical Technologists who are
    asked to perform parasitology exams have trouble recognizing the small
    parasites such as Giardia and Cryptosporidia. I found this to be the
    case time and time again in hospital laboratories where I worked. Also,
    I don't expect expertise to improve as Medical Technologists are being
    required to perform as generalists instead of specializing in a
    specific area of the laboratory.

    Kathleen Strelow, MS,MT(ASCP),SM(AAM)
    STRELKM at CAHL.DATCP.STATE.WI.US
    Wisconsin Animal Health Laboratory