snake parasites

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Thu Mar 25 08:03:29 EST 1999

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Andrea Voogt wrote:

>Does anyone know anything about some parasitic worms that might be found
>in the body wall of snakes?  They are relatively small, around 10 mm in
>length.  I think they are nematodes of some type.  Any information that
>could be provided would be appreciated!  Thanks!
>- A. Voogt

	If these are garter snakes, or fish eating snakes, they may be
advanced larval stag s of Eustrongylides.  The worms are usually
encapsulated in host tissue, coiled, and may have a red tint to them. I
hope this is helpful. Please post the results of your final diagnosis.

     *  Charles T. Faulkner, Ph.D.                  *
     *  Clinical Parasitology Service               *
     *  Dept. of Comparative Medicine               *
     *  2407 River Drive                            *
     *  Knoxville, TN 37996-4500                    *
     *  Voice: (423) 974-5645  Fax: (423) 974-5640  *
     *  E-Mail: ctfaulkner at utk.edu                  *