Sex Life of the Schistosome

Pat Spangler pspangle at
Mon Oct 4 22:23:16 EST 1999

In the last few weeks I have become intimately acquainted with
Trichobiharzia ocellata - hundreds of them (i.e., I have Swimmer's
Itch).  When I examine extrusions from the pustules on my legs and arms
under a microscope, I notice that each male T.o. is accompanied by 4-6

Question: Does the male schistosome carry his whole harem in his
gynecophoral canal during his trip from snail to warm-blooded host, or
do they swim separately and joing up after he has penetrated the host?

Sent via
Before you buy.