Sex Life of the Schistosome

Dr. Peter W. Pappas pappas.3 at
Tue Oct 5 06:41:34 EST 1999

Each schistosome cercaria swims "independently" to the definitive host.  As
far as I know (and I'm no expert in this area), the males and females do not
"pair up" until they have reached the liver (i.e., immediately before
entering the portal circulation).

Dr. Peter W. Pappas
Professor, Department of EEOB
The Ohio State University