New Journal (???)

Dr. Peter W. Pappas pappas.3 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 12 05:40:53 EST 1999

To those who have responded, thanks.  So far, the responses have been
positive, and several e-mails sent to me have included very helpful
suggestions.  I would like to respond to two comments in previous postings
on this NG.  There would be NO subscription cost -- the journal would be
free to anyone with access to the internet (a definite benefit).  For most
journals, the main cost (perhaps the only cost) of publishing is the
printing of the journal (most editors and referees do not get paid).  Since
authors would be responsible for preparing the MS in its final form (e.g., a
pdf file), no such costs would be incurred.  The lack of a hard copy for
libraries presents a problem for which there is no answer at the present
time, but this is not a problem unique to publishing scientific manuscripts.
A number of colleges and universities are now allowing students to submit
"electronic" theses and dissertations, and I recently served on a committee
at Ohio State that considered this option.  One of the main questions we had
was what to do about archival (library) copies.  We decided that a hard copy
was required, and the "electronic" form was optional.  Of course, there's
always the option of printing a copy of the file for library purposes.

--
Dr. Peter W. Pappas
Professor, Department of EEOB
pappas.3 at osu.edu