DNA recovering

Joan Marie Shields jshields at taurus.oac.uci.edu
Wed Jan 26 11:05:36 EST 2000

Alberto M. R. Davila - DBBM <davila at gene.dbbm.fiocruz.br> wrote:
>Have someone experience in recovering purified DNA from filter paper for
>PCR purposes ? Just eluating it in water or boiling would solve the
>problem ?

Well, I would think that you could soak the paper in ddH2O or Tris-EDTA
buffer (if you could reduce the size of the paper that would be good)
overnight or until the paper disinigrates.  Centrifuge the sample, remove
the supernantant and precipitate the DNA with isopropanol or Ammonium
Acetate and ethanol.

How big is the piece of filter paper and about how much DNA do you have?
Is is plasimd DNA or genomic or fragments?

joan

--
Joan Shields       jshields at uci.edu       http://www.ags.uci.edu/~jshields
University of California - Irvine         School of Social Ecology