Ivermectin as canine wormer

Dan Holdsworth dan at thecafe.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 12:19:05 EST 2000

On 21 Jan 2000 13:52:29 GMT, Spuren Kennels
<spuren at beenleigh.webexpress.net.au> was popularly supposed to have said:

>Need dosage rates for canine use. Also any problems occuring with use.

For collies, and indeed anything with a leaky blood-brain barrier, don't.

Ivermectin works on a receptor in the CNS. Invertebrates don't have a
blood-brain barrier, and get poisoned by ivermectin. Most vertebrates have
the barrier, and are OK.

Collie dogs have a blood-brain barrier that is just leaky enough to let
through ivermectin. The result is that a collie will die if given
ivermectin, from having its skeletal muscles locked solid.

This, BTW, is another caveat. Ivermectin makes invertebrates go rigid. If
the animal you are going to treat is extremely heavily infected, then its
gut may get blocked by "frozen" parasites with ivermectin.

Dan Holdsworth PhD   dan at thecafe.co.uk
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
do thoughts acquire speed,  hands acquire shaking,  the shaking
becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion