flagellates in murine cell culture

Suzan Smith suzanxyz at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 05:54:23 EST 2001

Hi all,

Could someone help and give me information about possible protozoan contamination in primary animal cell culture. Our animal house provided me "clean" 1 d old animals. After dissecting tissues I was able to detect couple of round ~10 micrometer cells moving around  with flagellas. Some of these moving cells were attached to the debris or other (nonmoving) cells.  With LM I could detect >5 flagellas length of ~10 micrometers. Flagellas took about 1/4 of the cell surface. Despite of these flagellates it seems that cultures are growing normally to confluency.

Could some of you protozoan spezialist give me possible explanation, please!

-Suzanne (previously without contaminations)-