Giardia in 5 year old kid - Flagyl side effects

Paulo Burnay burnay at clix.pt
Wed Aug 8 10:54:43 EST 2001

I have a 5 year old kid with Giardia infection since two years ago. Only
treatment seems to be Flagyl. Months ago he experienced a side effect after
375 mg of Flagyl (Metronizadol) during a single day - he just couldn´t walk.
The effect disappeared as the dosis was reduced to 250 mg a day. The doctor
advised a bit less than 200 mg of Metronizadol a day during 5 days to
prevent the same side effect, which, of course, is terrifying.

Symptoms are the usual: greasy fool smelling stools, green yellow colour,
nausea, vomiting. Normally it would start all over again every 2 or 3
months, but sometimes it can be as close as one week or one month, which
makes me wonder how often am I to feed my son with Flagyl in the future.

Ocasionnaly, a fever episode happens following or during the treatment,
though this is not suppose to happen with a Giardia infection (tipically
37,8 º Celsius at the end of the day), according to the doctor*. I also
noticed bad breath at the start or during each crisis. Again, according to
the doctor this wasn´t supposed to be caused by Giardia. He drinks a lot of
water, normally, when a new episode is about to start - he will wake up in
the middle of the night asking for water two or three times.

He has always been a restless child - though sometimes I believe he´s far
too restless, in such a way I really don´t know if that´s just is way and
I´m getting old (which I am ...) or if Giardia as something to do with it.
Feeding him is a nightmare, for he is often anorexic. Two years ago I
noticed about the strange stools as described above at the same time I also
noticed he was not growing up nor taking any extra weight. The pediatric MD
at the time found "nothing strange" till my familly MD raised up the Giardia
possibility. Bingo.

Thanks to this MD and Flagyl he has recovered and his height and weight are
balanced and right in the middle of the growing up graphics.
However, he seems to be very far from freedom regarding his health problem.
I wonder what will be the price to pay for taking Flagyl so often - do I
have a choice?... - and how long before he will be able to overcome the
parasitic infection by himself. Perhaps his IgA is low - I was suggested to
check it and I will check it.

Is anybody out there experiencing (or has experienced) the same troubles?

Please tell me about them.

Paulo.

* Giardisis seems to be known as "Beaver feaver" in the US and Canada...why
then?