info

Pro Tech Kean at netcom.ca
Mon Mar 5 13:30:50 EST 2001

If memory serves my correctly (I sound the the beginning of Iron Chef?),
Schistosomiasis or Bilharziasis is caused by a blood fluke. The usual
culprits in Middle Africa (and Lower Nile) is Schistisoma mansoni while S.
haematobium is found throughout Africa and right along the whole Nile river.
There are other species. Snails are usually the intermediate host and
children are often infected by playing in contaminated water. Drinking
contaminated water is not advised. The flukes eventually develop in the
mesenteric arteries and create blockage.

Regards
Terry