Toxoplasmosis in Cats - Transmission?

Agnes Newcomer anewcomer at bigfoot.com
Wed Mar 21 12:06:52 EST 2001

I have a cat, recently diagnosed with toxoplasmosis after a he experienced a
series of severe seizures.   My vet advised that the disease is transmitted
through ingesting raw meat or from the feces of other infected cats.   My
cat is an indoor only housecat for five years and does not have access to
raw meat.   He shares his home with other long-term indoor only housecats
who are elderly, but seemingly healthy.  We live on the second floor, so
there is no access to stray cats through windows, etc.

Is there another method of transmission?  Could this protozoan develop in a
dish fountain and then be ingested by a cat drinking the water?  Or could
one of the other cats be a long-term asymptomatic carrier?

I am most concerned with identifying possible sources so that the parasite
is not introduced.   Thanks for any information that you can offer.

Agnes Newcomer