Toxoplasmosis in Cats - Transmission?

Pro Tech Kean at netcom.ca
Wed Mar 21 16:26:55 EST 2001

You didn't mention of you have children. There is the possibility that children or even adults can track in infected sane or dirt from sandboxes, gardens, or other places that cats like to visit.Some cats can be asymptomatic.

  ""Agnes Newcomer"" <anewcomer at bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:LPBBJIAFHEDCAEEGIOOAOEKIDIAA.anewcomer at bigfoot.com...
  I have a cat, recently diagnosed with toxoplasmosis after a he experienced a series of severe seizures.   My vet advised that the disease is transmitted through ingesting raw meat or from the feces of other infected cats.   My cat is an indoor only housecat for five years and does not have access to raw meat.   He shares his home with other long-term indoor only housecats who are elderly, but seemingly healthy.  We live on the second floor, so there is no access to stray cats through windows, etc.

  Is there another method of transmission?  Could this protozoan develop in a dish fountain and then be ingested by a cat drinking the water?  Or could one of the other cats be a long-term asymptomatic carrier?

  I am most concerned with identifying possible sources so that the parasite is not introduced.   Thanks for any information that you can offer.

  Agnes Newcomer