b.hominis

Dilworth bactitech at hortonsbay.com
Wed Mar 28 05:45:40 EST 2001

The only time our infectious disease doctors got too excited about B.
hominis is if it was present in a person that had HIV.  Apparently it
can cause a lot of problems in immunocompromised patients.  There also
is some discussion in the literature as to whether it is actually a
pathogen.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/blastocystishominis/factsht_blastocystis_hominis.htm

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/Blastocystis.htm

The daughter of one of our lab managers came back from either Africa or
India (can't remember which one) heavily infected with it (I saw her
slides) but don't know what the doctor decided as to course of
treatment.

As a technologist, I report them if I see them, and let the doctor
decide whether they are significant.  There are schools of thought that
it's not even worth reporting, but the labs I work for have always
reported them.

Again, do you have a lab report stating that you have this?

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology