insects eggs on my wild kittens need help identification

phil philippe.zemel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 29 12:15:39 EST 2002

Hello,
Could you please help french "wild" cats i take care (pet food, milk,
medical treatment, etc..).
They have small white packets attached to the skin, these small packets are
made from little sticks (lenght 2 or 3 mm, diameter 5 or 6 time less mean
0.3/0.4mm) all of them has exactly same size. They formed packet of 30 or 50
up to 100 or 200, all of them are parallels. It looks like wood but it's
quite brilliant, and  consistency seems to be like comedo.
I found these things on kittens (alive), the kitten i talk about was quite
completly covered by these things, his face, his abdomen, his cattail,
legs...
I found also these things on a dead kitten since 12 hours, he had it in his
mouth, just beetween his gum and his "external skin" (don't know the correct
word, perhaps i can say superior lips), you know not completly inside his
mouth, not in back of his teeth, but behind his superior lips. There was a
lot of these things perhaps 100 or more, it was situated only on a side of
his mouth, only 3 or 4 little sticks behind his other side lips. The kittens
had his mouth open a little.
One month ago, veterinary thought that these strange packets are produced by
the skin, by the sebaceous glands, but he did not know this last detail (in
the mouth of a dead kitten), he said to me that this sticks are not alive,
not organic, this is like comedo. I'm really not convinced and  i think it's
probably insects, there is many ants where they live, they are lot of wood
waste, fir branch that somebody had cutt and throw away. I know the kittens
are usually under these fir branch.
PLEASE COULD YOU HELP ME IDENTIFYING THESE THINGS AND PROTECT MY CATS FROM
THAT !
THANKS FOR HELP.
PHIL.