Blasto. hominis - question for Judy D.

JEDilworth bactitech at nospamhortonsbay.com
Mon Jun 24 14:20:17 EST 2002

Gee, thanks for the confidence but I really don't know. I personally
call them when I see them and let the docs decide if they're relevant. I
will cross-post this to sci.med.laboratory and see if any of the other
micro people in there have any comments.  These organisms can vary
anywhere from 5-30 microns in diameter and can be difficult to detect in
low numbers. Their relevancy to infection has been disputed. Some
textbooks relegate them to the yeast category.

One of our infectious disease docs only worried about them in AIDS
patients. She then was particular about the quantitation.

Why do you ask?

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology