No subject

Sun Apr 10 15:46:52 EST 2005

with human faeces.
Furthermore your statement that humans can get it from eating redmeat that
is not properly cooked I believe we are dealing with a tape-worm.

As I don't know which tapeworms occur in your country just the following bit
of info concerning this kind of infestation in South Africa.

There are two main tapeworms here that people can get from meat. The one
from pigs is called Taenia solium and the one from cattle Taenia saginata.
If this was a South African case I would have said that the latter was the
problem.
The proglottids (segments) of this tape-worm leave the host spontaneously or
during defaecation. It is espesially this spontaneous movements that can be
emmbarrassing because the segments can start crawling out of the rectum any
time when not epected.

The tape-worm larvae forms small cysts (bovine measles) in the muscles of
cattle that serves as the intermediate host. When humans eat contaminated
meat that is not cooked properly like for example, rare or underdone steak
the get the cysts in, that forms a tape-worm.
Tape-worm infection in humans is not lethal but signs like loss of weight
(note; not a good way of dieting), vitamine deficiency etc. may occur.
If however these cysts develop in a human for example in the brain it can
cause epilepsy, meningitis and paralysis but this don't usually occur.

For treatment literature recommend Atebrin, niclosamide, praziquantel. This
must be followed by a purgative, for example magnesium sulphate to expell
the dead worms.
A very good medicine for tape-worms in South Africa is Yomesan.

This is only a summary of the whole problem and the best advice concerning
treatment you will get from your doctor.

If anybody more knowlegeable about this is reading my answer that can supply
me with info on this kind of zoonosis in their country, they can email me.

Francois Dreyer
Parasitology Departement
Regional Veterinary Laboratory
Stellenbosch, SOUTH AFRICA