[Parasitology] Re: Can anyone identify this cestode?

JEDilworth bactitech at nospamhortonsbay.com
Thu Dec 1 22:44:37 EST 2005

Bacteria cannot be seen with the naked eye. Some of the largest
bacterial cells known are Bacillus species [pic of Bacillus anthracis
which causes anthrax, below]

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/B.anthracis.Gram.CDC.jpeg

and you still need an 100X oil immersion lens to see them.

Are you sure this is not plant material? Have you put iodine on it? If
it's starchy, it will turn blue. It could be intestinal mucus.

I've been doing O&P's for nearly 25 years and have never seen anything
like this that is a parasite.

http://www.goldenvetlab.co.za/images/Slides/GE%20Babesia%20equi%2096.jpg

Babesia infects red blood cells and looks like the picture above on a
slide WITH a microscope.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/ehrlichia/Organisms/bonem.jpg

Here is a pic from the CDC of Ehrlichia.

I don't know what your pics are, but they're NOT what they're labelled.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology

news:mailman.381.1133122467.29584.parasite at net.bio.net...