[Parasitology] Meningeal Worm of Sheep, Llama, etc

Barnett, James j.barnett at vla.defra.gsi.gov.uk
Wed Dec 14 07:07:48 EST 2005

Dear Dr Mason,

I understand that you have experience with the life cycles and pathology
associated with infestation with both Paralephostrongylus tenuis and
Elaphostrongylus cervi.  Recently, we necropsied a recumbent llama on
histoptahology, an extensive haemorrhagic and necrotising leucomyelopathy
was found in the spinal cord from which nematode-like larvae were identified
in the white matter.  I understand tha P. tenuis have been known to cause
this condition in North America, but as we have no white-tailed deer in the
UK, I am unsure as to whether this is likely to be the parasite involved.
We certainly have red deer and E. cervi is known to infest them here.  Is E.
cervi ever recorded as having infested llamas?

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

James Barnett
Veterinary Investigation Officer
Veterinary Laboratories Agency, UK

Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA)

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient
only.
If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform
the sender.
Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked
for known viruses whilst within VLA systems we can accept no
responsibility once it has left our systems.
Communications on VLA's computer systems may be monitored and/or
recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
lawful purposes.