Pinworm help needed

TomUK tmm1979 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:53:20 EST 2005

I'm a trainee teacher (aged 25) who caught pinworm (also known as
threadworm in the US) from one of my pupils in September. My symptoms
were initially gastrological and it took 2 months for my Doctor to
identify the problem as pinworm and prescribe (mebendazole). This
worked, but the worms returned shortly after and have done each time I
have taken mebendazole - symptoms something occuring only days after I
take a tablet (although usually about 6 days later). My personal
hygene is now without question (my hands are dry and cracked from
scrubbing and washing them), my clothes and bedclothes are regularly
washed in boiling water, all people in my house take the medication
when I do). I've tried Chinese medicine (a tea twice daily for 2
weeks), Combantrin (pyrantel) that I had sent in from Australia, and
still the things keep returning. They make me feel very low (my immune
system must be knackered), ill in the stomach (lots of growling from
down there) and usually cause GERD (reflux). I know it's pinworms as I
see them leave (if you excuse the imagery) when I take the
Mebendazole. Can anybody suggest anything to help? I really am
desperate.
Many thanks,
Tom.