toxocara infection in humans

Jormunrek Svenson jormunrek09-nn at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 18:09:45 EST 2005

T. cati and T. canis can cause toxocariasis in humans, known as visceral
larval migrans (VLM) or ocular larval migrans (OLM), though T. cati is
rarely implicated.  Fatalities can occur, but the disease is typically
self-limiting.  The primary route of infection is fecal-oral, or through
raw meat consumption.  Diagnosis in humans is not through the presence
of eggs in the feces, but by ELISA or biopsy.

Please see CDC's fact sheet on toxocaraisis for more details:
<http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxocara/factsht_toxocara.htm>
 Voice your concerns to your doctor and request the appropriate
diagnostic assay.  If he is not aware of the test, refer him to the CDC
site and ask for a consultation with a human parasitologist.

Good Luck