toxocara infection in humans

crystal2005 at crystal2005 at
Fri Jan 28 17:01:37 EST 2005

I have been exposed to toxocara cati (roundworm) and since then have
exhibited a few of the symptoms associated with this condition. Mainly,
skin rashes, vomiting and a slight fever. It might be unrelated, but I
would like to make sure that I am not infected.
Is there any conclusive test readily available to detect a toxocara
infection in humans? Would a white blood cell count be conclusive
enough to rule out a possible parasite infection? I have heard of the
ELISA test but I am not sure my health provider would administer such a
test. How do I approach my doctor with such a test request?

Thank you.