[Parasitology] Can anyone identify this cestode?

Marina V num1005 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 11:01:14 EST 2005

Can anyone please ID this species?

The links below is the only place where I could
find the images of this creature. The owner
of the pages does not seem to have a clue. But
the images are good.

Here is a full specimen, usually from 0.5 cm to 1 cm long,
bright red when fresh:

http://www.lymephotos.com/bg/15.html

A closeup:
http://www.lymephotos.com/bg/9.html

Even closer view:
http://www.lymephotos.com/bb/9.html

A whole array of images of this thing:
http://www.lymephotos.com/bb/index.html

The images are confusing, for at the first
glance they may appear as giant filamentous
bacteria. But the filaments are about 1 cm long.

If you examine them closer, they look like
proglottids. What is really unusual is that
they most often "come" in parrallel pairs,
with a third shorter filament appearing in
the middle at times.

What is it? I cannot find any similar
images anywhere else.

If anybody would like to examine a preserved
specimen, this could be arranged.

I am not the owner of the pages linked above.
But I happened to have the same affliction
(only these filaments and nothing else depicted
elsewhere on his site).

Please help to id this creature, which, I suspect,
I got picking wild berries in the forest past
summer.

Thank you for your attention,

-Mariana