[Parasitology] parasite infection?

Teresa Clonan teresaclonan at aapt.net.au
Thu Sep 1 22:21:24 EST 2005

Hi I stumbled across this site on the internet and thought I'd email, I'm having a really difficult time with a presumed (as yet undiagnosed) parasite, and I really need some help.

I am a 33 year old Australian female, who has been have debilitating GI symptoms for over three weeks now.

It began with typical 'gastro' symptoms of diarrhoea (with mucous), nausea, occasional vomiting and loss of appetite. No fever, no blood in stools. After three days of these symptoms I decided to go to my local hospital because a) I feared I was becoming quite dehydrated, and b) I had recently returned from a trip to Vietnam and was concerned that I may have picked up something there.

They treated me for dehydration took a stool sample and prescribed ciprofloxacin and metronidadole. I took each of these medications for seven days. During this time the vomiting stopped, and the diarrhoea reduced (less mucousy, less explosove and less often, but still very soft, green, frequent with a weird smell), and the nausea and loss of appetite was unchanged.

After one week OFF of both medications I was still suffering chronic nausea, lack of appetite and the diarrhoea seemed to be starting to return. I went back to the doctor who prescribed a course of tinidazole (2x 2g doses - 3 days apart). Again, the stool has become a little less watery, but is still frequent, unformed (mushy), green and contains undigested food. From eating to stool my digestion is taking generally less than 16 hours.

I am still experiencing chronic nausea and lack of appetite.

I have had two stool samples, both of which were 'negative' however i know that they were not examined fresh, and I don't know exactly what they tested for.

I have had thyroid, pancreas, liver and kidney function tests, and all are fine.

I am becoming very distressed by these symptoms and really would like some advice as to what I should do next.

please help if you can, Teresa