[Parasitology] demodex

James Mahaffy via parasite%40net.bio.net (by Mahaffy At dordt.edu)
Fri Jan 12 17:05:30 EST 2007

Eric and Mike and others.

I have done this a number of times and it works well for me.  I talked
about this a bit on an earlier post. See:
See http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/parasite/1998-May/002959.html

I use a sharp Swiss army knife and scrape hard  right above the
eyebrows.  I then put the scrappings on the knife into
a drop of immersion oil.  I would then add a coverslip.  Look near the
pieces of skin They look like tiny worms but it is
neat to see the eight legs move.

It is possible I have a bit higher infestation than some (I grew up in
East Africa), but I suspect most of us could get it.

Actually I had a student scrape while I pulled my skin tight and them
put it on a microscope that had a video on it. It is neat to wee the
eight legs waving.  Good luck.

Feel free to send an e-mail or phone if you have questions.

--

James Mahaffy (mahaffy At dordt.edu)          Phone: 712 722-6279
498 4th Ave NE

>>> On 1/10/2007 at 10:00 PM, in message
<E20AD1E8C4BAF140A87DAF6DE5D3BD84815F69 At teal.iwunet.indwes.edu>, "Goff,
Mike"
<Mike.Goff At indwes.edu> wrote:
> I have read Eric's question about finding Demodex folliculorum for
an
> undergraduate parasitology class. I have looked for this mite for a
long
> time without finding it too. Is there some secret? I have scraped my
> forehead many times and pulled eyelashes with no real results.
Yesterday