[Parasitology] Course: Introduction to Infectious Disease Modelling at Imperial College London

Wernmark, Ulrika M K via parasite%40net.bio.net (by u.wernmark At imperial.ac.uk)
Fri Jan 26 06:30:14 EST 2007

I would be most grateful if you could please post this message to your
list members
Many thanks
Ulrika
------------------

EPIDEMIOLOGY & CONTROL OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES:
Introduction to mathematical models of global and emerging infections
Short Course for Public Health Professionals, since 1990
3-14 September 2007 at Imperial College London

Our understanding of infectious-disease epidemiology and control has
been greatly increased through mathematical modelling. Insights from
this increasingly-important and exciting field are now informing
policymaking at the highest levels, for pandemic influenza, SARS,
HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, foot-and-mouth disease and other infections.

It is taught by active researchers in the world-leading Department of
Infectious Disease Epidemiology, which advises public health agencies,
governments, international organisations, and pharmaceutical companies,
and hosts the UNAIDS Epidemiology Reference Group, Partnership for Child
Development, and the Gates Foundation-funded Schistosomiasis Control
Initiative that has treated over 12 million children to date in six
countries in Africa.

Participants need only a basic mathematical ability (high school level
is more than sufficient): most course participants do not use maths
regularly, and calculation is done using Excel and the user-friendly
modelling package, Berkeley Madonna; hence manipulation of equations is
not required.  We offer an optional 'maths refresher' day on Sunday 2
September, free of charge.

This programme will be of interest worldwide to public health
professionals, policy makers, commissioning agencies, immunologists,
medical, veterinary, biological and pharmaceutical scientists.

For further details visit the course website
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/cpd/epidemiology/
<blocked::http://www.imperial.ac.uk/cpd/epidemiology/>  which includes
full information on how to apply for the course.

Best wishes
Ulrika

Ulrika Wernmark
Programme Manager