[Parasitology] DDT and Malaria

Angela Logomasini via parasite%40net.bio.net (by ALogomasini from cei.org)
Tue Jul 31 13:27:59 EST 2007

In 1999, you were among a prestigious group of medical and public health
experts who signed the Open Letter on DDT
(http://www.malaria.org/ddtcover_english.html), which proved critical in
efforts to gain a temporary, limited exemption for DDT from a global ban
under the POPs treaty.  Thanks to efforts like yours, the World Health
Organization and other public health agencies also have more strongly
advocated targeted use of DDT for malaria control.  Yet, many poor
developing nations still lack sufficient access, and children continue
to die needlessly.  To add insult to injury, there are still NGOs
working to deny life-saving uses of DDT.  In particular, they are now
attempting to undermine the World Health Organization's recent
endorsement for increased life-saving uses of DDT.

The need for medical experts to speak out in support of limited public
health uses of DDT remains as critical today as it was when you signed
the Open Letter.  Accordingly, the Competitive Enterprise Institute and
the Congress of Racial Equality are coordinating the signing of a
similar letter this year.

Since many people are celebrating the 100th birthday of the late Rachel
Carson this year, we thought it appropriate to highlight some of
Carson's comments in support of limited use of chemicals for public
health purposes.  She noted that in times of serious public health
crisis, chemical controls would be warranted.  The malaria crisis
certainly fits those criteria.  We are hoping that some environmental
groups-including those who have indicated that they might accept some
public health uses for DDT-would sign this letter as well.  We have
invited top leaders of U.S. environmental groups to participate, and are
awaiting their replies.

Please take a look at the declaration posted on line at
www.rachelwaswrong.org\declaration.pdf
<http://www.rachelwaswrong.org/declaration.pdf>  and let me know if you
would be interested in adding your name, and let me know how you would
like it to appear exactly.  Your participation would be most helpful.
In addition, if you could also share this invitation with some of your
colleagues, particularly those with public health and scientific
credentials, who might be interested in signing this declaration, that
would be very helpful as well.  Eventually, we may open the declaration
to the public at large.

BTW, I thought this effort was so important that I took the time to
search the internet for the email addresses of each individual who
signed the Open Letter.  I found a good number, but feel free to forward
this to others who signed (if you know any) because I could not find all
the addresses.

Thank you for taking the time to read this note and consider this
request.

Angela Logomasini

Director of Risk and Environmental Policy

Competitive Enterprise Institute

1001 Connecticut Avenue, NW, #1250

Washington, D.C.  20036

(202) 331-1010  Fax:  (202) 331-0640