postdoctoral position in Plant Phys. Ecol.

JSCOLEMA at SUVM.EARN JSCOLEMA at SUVM.EARN
Fri Jul 9 15:30:13 EST 1993

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN PHYSIOLOGICAL ECOLOGY
(pending university approval)

I am trying to identify candidates for a postdoctoral position
that will be open in my laboratory as of August 1, 1993.  This
position will be funded by an NSF grant and an NSF Young
Investigator Award, so it is likely that I will have support for
up to five years.  However, two-three years is probably
optimal.

The research project is a particularly unusual collaboration
between a physiological ecologist (myself) and a molecular
biologist (Richard Hallberg).  Our overall goal is to link the
stress responses of plants at the molecular and cellular
levels to those that occur at the level of tissues, organs and
whole plants.  To do this, we are examining the response of
different plant species, grown with different nitrogen
balances (i.e., physiological states), to acute and chronic heat
stress.  We then intend to use a kinetic-correlative approach
to examine: 1) patters of heat shock protein synthesis,
accumulation and turnover; 2) efficiency of photosystem II; 3)
photosynthetic capacity  & efficiency; 4) tradeoffs between
the production of HSPs and the production of photosynthetic
enzymes; 5) growth efficiency; 6) reproductive output.  We
intend to address the following questions:  At the molecular
level we ask, how does the physiological state of the plant
affect: (1) the kinetics and extent of accumulation of specific
stress proteins in response to a single acute heat shock, as
well as a prolonged high-temperature event, and the recovery
rate of normal protein synthesis? (2) the developmental
regulation of heat shock responses as described above?  At
the tissue level we ask: (1) how are patterns of heat shock
protein synthesis and accumulation in leaves correlated to the
functioning of the photosynthetic apparatus during and after
acute and chronic heat stress? (2) Does the synthesis of
stress proteins occur in lieu of the production or activation of
photosynthetic enzymes? (3)  Are any tradeoffs exacerbated
when nitrogen is limiting?  At the whole-plant level we ask:
(1) Is there really a correlation between the dynamics of
stress protein production at the cellular level and whole-
plant performance as measured by overall rates of plant
growth and leaf production? (2)  How are  these relationships
affected by plant development or plant genotype?

We are looking for a postdoctoral scientist to oversee a
number of our experiments.  In general, the optimal candidate
would have a strong background in the physiology of
photosynthesis and good training in biochemical techniques.
Furthermore, this person should be interested in going both
"above" and "below" the physiological level of scale - i.e., this
person should be comfortable, and particularly excited, about
working in the laboratories of both a molecular biologist and
a physiological ecologist.  Additionally, the nature of this
study will require a great deal of independence of the postdoc.

I think that this position offers some outstanding
opportunities.  First, it will enable a young scientist to carve
out a particularly unique niche in linking molecular,
physiological and ecological approaches to a problem.  Second,
the person will gain management skills as one responsibility
of this position is the management of a research technician
(.5 time now, but may increase to full time within the year)
who will work exclusively with the candidate.  Third, there is
a great deal of room for the candidate to develop their own
unique approach to this or other problems.  Fourth, Syracuse
University has some excellent molecular biologists and
ecologists to interact with. Fifth, Syracuse is actually a
fairly attractive and affordable place to live.  The salary for
the position is negotiable, but will probably range from
($18,000 - $22,000) including excellent fringe benefits.  The
salary may be significantly increased if we are successful in
finding matching funds for the Young Investigator award.

Information can be obtained by calling me at (315) 443-3748
or via email to jscolema at suvm.acs.syr.edu.  I would like for
any interested candidates to contact me before applying.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Jim Coleman
Assistant Professor of Biology