Help-CF1 distribution in thylakoid membrane

larson eric elarson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 23 09:09:46 EST 1994

donaldt430 at aol.com (DonaldT430) writes:

>Dear Friends,
>I am teaching Advanced Placement Biology at Irvington HS, Irvington, NY.
>One of my students wanted at least a ball park figure as to the number or
>distribution of the CF1 particles in a "typical" plant chloroplast
>thylakoid.  An algal response will be more than satisfactory.
>===========

Quantities of CF1 for Spinach thylakoids cluster around 1 to 1.2 nmole per mg
chlorophyll.  Other reference numbers: there is about 0.05 mg chl per cm^2
of leaf, about 10 to 12 mg protein per mg chl (approx half of this is
Rubisco), and about 25 uL of stroma volume per mg chl.

As for distribution, I believe most to all of the CF1 is located on the
stroma lamellae (the nonappressed regions) because of the physical
attributes of CF1.  A recent TIBS has a wonderful (short) article on just
what CF1 looks like and contains a reasonable (but not certain) mechanism.

--
Eric Larson                  | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
USDA/Agronomy                | 190 PABL; 1201 W. Gregory; Urbana, IL 61801