green flowers

jbeckert at marcie.wellesley.edu jbeckert at marcie.wellesley.edu
Wed Sep 14 11:04:51 EST 1994

Do green flowers photosynthesize?  I am thinking of those with
green petals (such as some of the cultivated ornamental flowers),
not of those such as grass flowers which are essentially green
bract-like organs enclosing the sexual parts.

Also, some years ago I read (and now can't find the reference) that
the stems of the ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens) contained
chloroplasts, but did not have stomates; it was in this article
implied that therefore the stems did not perform photosynthesis
during those times of the year when the plant was leafless.
Does anyone have any info on this?  I have been puzzling about it
off and on for a long time.

What about chloroplasts in organs not exposed to light, such as
the gametophyte of Ginkgo biloba?

Why should chloroplasts be present if photosynthesis is not occurring?

Thanks//Jan. JBECKERT at LUCY.WELLESLEY.EDU