uv effects on photosynthesis

Adel Rajab arajab at csulb.edu
Mon Sep 26 23:44:13 EST 1994

HELP! I am a grad student whose interests lie in studying the effects of
UV radiation on phytoplankton. There is a lot of literature out there on
the harmful effects of UV rad on photosynthesis, but, mainly, the
reports go something like: "plant exposed to UV which resulted in
decreases primary production".
My question is: what are the specific molecular effects of UV on the
photosynthetic apparatus itself which may lead to decreased
photosynthesis. It is known that DNA damage (and damage to other
organells) will lead to decreased photosynthesis, but what about the
photosynthetic machinery itself?
Direct comments by the more learned experts is greatly appreciated as
well as any references to references I have overlooked.

Thanks.

         Adel M. Rajab                           Lab  (310) 9854907
         arajab at csulb.edu                        Lab  (310) 9854808
         graduate student
         Dept. of biological sciences
         California State Univ., Long Beach
         1250 Bellflower Blvd. Long Beach, CA 90840