(fwd) Windows vs. The BORG (fwd)

Larry Orr Larry.Orr at ASU.EDU
Tue Feb 21 14:34:58 EST 1995

"Star Trek Lost Episodes" transcript:

<Picard> "Mr. LaForge, have you had any success with your attempts at
finding a weakness in the Borg? And Mr. Data, have you been able to access
their command pathways?"

<Geordi>"Yes, Captain. In fact, we found the answer by searching through
our archives on late Twentieth-century computing technology."

<Geordi presses a key, and a logo appears on the computer screen.>

<Riker looks puzzled.> "What the hell is 'Microsoft'?"

<Data turns to answer.> "Allow me to explain. We will send this program,
for some reason called 'Windows', through the Borg command pathways. Once
inside their root command unit,it will begin consuming system resources at
an unstoppable rate."

<Picard> "But the Borg have the ability to adapt. Won't they alter their
processing systems to increase their storage capacity?"

<Data> "Yes, Captain. But when 'Windows' detects this, it creates a new
version of itself known as an 'upgrade'. The use of resources increases
exponentially with each iteration. The Borg will not be able to adapt
quickly enough. Eventually all of their processing ability will be taken
over and none will be available for their normal operational functions."

<Picard> "Excellent work. This is even better than that 'unsolvable
geometric shape' idea."

.. . . 15 Minutes Later . . .