Light measurement

Mr A Yool lsrgi at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 06:27:24 EST 1995

Hi there,

Recently I've come across a problem when trying to measure light in my
incubator.

Our department's best light meter unfortunately measures in the units
known as lux (which apparently involve candles illuminating a set area on
a set tuesday in december in the northern hemisphere of Mars).  In the
literature (and on our slightly less superior light meters) the units are
usually recorded as either mmol photons m-2 s-1 or micro einsteins m-2 s-1.

I was wondering if anyone has the correct formulae for conversion of lux to
either of these two alternative units (or a reference which will point me in
the correct direction).

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer,

Andrew Yool
(Research student)