Measure Chlorophyll in Field?

O Monje sl5dl at cc.usu.edu
Mon Jun 12 14:57:11 EST 1995

bo1000 at aol.com (Bo1000) wrote:
>Does anyone know how to measure chlorophyll-a in lake water?  We would
>prefer  a small device we could carry in a boat in order to understand the
>photosynthetic activity of algae, etc.

We measure foliar chlorophyll almost daily using a SPAD 502 chlorophyll meter.
However, for measuring chl underwater, you may need a spectrophotometer or
even a 4 band radiometer (which imitates LANDSAT Thematic Mapper Bands).  Then you
could relate chlorophyll content to the ratio between the blue and the green bands.

Check the literature on phytoplankton determinations from satellites!

OM