UV-B and Sumac Leaves

FMims fmims at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 18:59:39 EST 1995

I am investigating the effects of UV-B on sumacs and have found that the
UV-B transmission of sumac leaves increases substantially when the leaves
turn yellow in autumn. The cuticle wax on full sun leaves offers some UV-B
absorption but considerably less than what chlorophyl apparently absorbs.

My question is does chlorophyl effectively use UV-B (300-320 nm) during
photosynthesis. The only action curves I have seen end at 400 nm.

I shall be most grateful for any responses, either on this forum or to me
via e-mail.

Forrest M. Mims III
Sun Photometer Atmospheric Network (SPAN)
Forrest M. Mims III
Sun Photometer Atmospheric Network (SPAN)
Phone: 210-372-0548
Fax: 210-372-2284
e-mail: fmims at aol.com