transketolases and ferredoxins ???

dmncli02 at uctvms.uct.ac.za dmncli02 at uctvms.uct.ac.za
Mon Sep 4 08:05:51 EST 1995

Dear All

I have cloned a transketolase gene followed immediately downstream by a
ferredoxin gene from a autotrophic bacterium. My problem is establishing a
functional relationship between these two genes ie. Why would a
non-photosynthetic bug require a ferredoxin gene in a transketolase operon. i
realise that there is a light induced ferredoxin-thioredoxin activation system
for some Calvin cycle genes in plants. however why would these two genes occur
together in non-photosynthetic organisms ?

i would appreciate any replies / ideas to be e-mailed to me at

cliff at molbiol.uct.ac.za

as I do not regularly read this news group.

Many thanks
Cliff Dominy