How to measure the MEHLER REACTION?

Milan Durchan durchan at entu.cas.cz
Thu Sep 21 12:47:56 EST 1995

On 21 Sep 1995 jleipner at ipw.agrl.ethz.ch wrote:

> Dear Netters!
>
> Could anyone tell me how can I measure the Mehler reaction in vivo (maize leaf
> pieces). I can use simultaneously a chlorophyll fluorometer (PAM-2000) and a
> oxygen electrode (Hansatech).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ciao
>
> Joerg

> Joerg Leipner
> Institute of Plant Sciences
> Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich

See:
1) Wu, J., Neimanis, S., Heber, U.: Photorespiration is more effective than
the Mehler reaction in protecting the photosynthetic apparatus against
photoinhibition. - Bot. Acta 104: 283-291, 1991.
2) Stokes, D.M., Walker, D.A.: Photosynthesis by isolated chloroplasts.
Inhibition by DL-glyceraldehyde of carbon dioxide assimilation. -
Biochem. J. 128: 1147-1157, 1972.

I have some experience with measurement of qP and oxygen in intact leaves
fed with glyceraldehyde(gra) and without CO2 (without bicarbonate in
Hansatech leaf disc electrode).
Your results will be dependent on infiltration of gra (e.g. stressed
leaves - drought stress, closed stomata - low transpiration implicates in
lower amount of gra (feeding by petiole) in the leaf, etc.).

I hope this of some help.
Best regards
Milan.

Milan Durchan                         |      Internet:   <durchan at umbr.cas.cz>
Dept. of Photosynthesis               |        or <durchan at baloun.entu.cas.cz>
Inst. of Plant Molec. Biology         |      Fax:         +0042-38-41475
Branisovska 31                        |      Phone: (lab) +0042-38-817 ext.393
37005 Ceske Budejovice                |           (dept.) +0042-38-43751
Czech Republic                        |         (private) +0042-38-48487