REACH 5 MILLION INTERNET SUBSCRIBERS AT HIGH COST

John Allen John.Allen at placebio.lu.se
Mon Sep 25 08:14:38 EST 1995

Dear colleagues of the Photosynthesis Network,

The message which we are intended to believe originates from a Mr Jeff Sla=
ton,=20
is, by the application of its own advice, without value:

- the address is not his address;

- the telephone number is not his telephone number;

- the name is not his name.

The object is to persuade us that we can buy a service. The service is=20
commercial advertising, via newsgroups that run largely on public money an=
d=20
goodwill.=20

What the original sender actually wants is US$ 450 from each of us.

I understand that even by mailing this reponse I am contributing to the pr=
oblem=20
of unsolicited electronic mail, but perhaps someone will have some advice:

- Is there any way in which the Photosynthesis Network, and others like it=
, can=20
be cleaned up so that there is at least a reasonable chance that the messa=
ges=20
are relevant to our field, and sent with goodwill? A threshold of messages=
 from=20
exploiters who merely who want our money and have already stolen our time =
and=20
energy has probably already been reached for many people, and they will re=
spond=20
by unsubscribing, which will decrease the value of the Network for all of =
us.=20
The question of what is advertised (we seem to be doing quite nicely for f=
raud=20
and prostitution at the moment) is quite separate.

Incidentally, it is not even in Mr Slaton's interests for us all to unsubs=
cribe.=20
When Newsgroups are read only by people interested in junk mail, his custo=
mers'=20
markets will have disappeared. We should lose no sleep on his behalf: he m=
ight=20
by then have sold his services to a few fools, and undoubtedly will have t=
hought=20
of other ways to exploit the goodwill of others.

But we will be left without an international electronic network of like-mi=
nded=20
individuals. This would be a loss.

Yours without hypocrisy.

John Allen (his real name)

(TIme and facilities supported in good faith by non-profit organisations, =
namely=20
Lund University and Swedish Research Councils. The writer alone takes=20
responsibility for their use in this way).

Futher accurate information:

_____________________________________

John F. Allen
Department of Plant Cell Biology
Lund University
Box 7007
S-220 07 LUND
Sweden

Tel: +46 46 2224987 or 2227788 (direct)
FAX: +46 46 2223684 or 2224009 (direct)

Email: john.allen at placebio.lu.se

Further information on URL:

gopher://classic.placebio.lu.se/11ftp:VCB classic HD: