Autofluorescence of chlorophyll

Neil McEwan Neil.McEwan at
Mon Mar 4 11:40:53 EST 1996

I have a question regarding autofluorescence of chlorophyll.  To my
knowledge, the only thing which will fluoresce red when excited by blue
light (490nm as used in FITC studies) is chlorophyll.  Am I correct in this
assumption, or does another molecule exist which will also emit red light?

If possible, could somebody supply me with a reference to confirm my
thoughts, or alternatively, can somebody suppply me with a reference for an
alternative molecule - preferably one likely to be found in plants.

Thanks for any contributions.

Dr N.R. McEwan
Neil.McEwan at
Crop Sciences Section
Department of Agricultural Research for Northern Sweden,
Box 4097
S-904 03 Ume=E5