FROM GOVINDJEE:1997

Govindjee gov at pop.life.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 26 11:42:30 EST 1997

	I have not written to my photosynthesis colleagues this year at
the time of the New Year. This is because I did not have access to my
E-mail during that period. I have been on my sabbatical this academic
year. First, I went to the University of Geneva (August-October,1996);
then, I went to several universities and institutes in India as a
Fulbright Senior Lecturer. I spread the gospel of photosynthesis at more
than 15 places. I had the fortune of co-directing a Dance-drama program that
explained several concepts of photosynthesis:Mitchell's theory; mechanism
of ATP synthesis; charge accumulation in the oxygen clock; two-electron
gate and how certain herbicides kill plants.Here, students played the
role of various molecules and music accompanied the transfers of
electrons and protons (differently colored balloons were used to
represent electrons and protons). Now, I am visiting RSBS, ANU, Canberra,
Australia till May 21, 1997. After this, I plan to go to NIBB at Okazaki
(Japan) from where I will return to Urbana only on August 15, 1997.
	I belatedly wish you all a Happy and profitable New Year. Keep up
the light of photosynthesis glowing in your hearts and elsewhere.

Govindjee VIA TELNET from RSBS,ANU,Canberra
Home phone: 61-6-243-3125
Office phone: 61-6-249-2383

Govindjee                                Office telephone: 217-333-1794
Department of Plant Biology              Office fax: 217-244-7246
University of Illinois                   Home telephone:217-337-0627
505 South Goodwin Avenue                 Home fax: 217-337-6196
  265 Morrill Hall
Urbana, IL 61801-3707
If you want to write a letter to my home, please use the following address:
2401 South Boudreau, Urbana, IL 61801-6655

"The firefly seems afire, the sky looks flat;
Yet sky and fly are neither this nor that"