A Question

Joe Berry joeberry at biosphere.Stanford.EDU
Sun Sep 28 22:58:57 EST 1997

Dear Photosynthesis Researchers,

I received an interesting question that might be a useful topic for
discussion on the photosynthesis net.  The question comes from an
astronomer via Maxine Singer, President of the Carnegie Institution.

     Allan Sandage at the Observatories sent me the following
question.      Can you help with an answer?  He doesn't 'do' email, so
email me     the answer and I will send it on to him.

     "Why are plants green??  (I suppose this means and not yellow or
    blue or red)  What evolutionary advantage does green have re
     photosynthesis?"
     THanks, Maxine

I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of other photosynthesis
researchers.  I have included my answer and a response from Winslow
Briggs below.
Thanks,
Joe Berry
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Stanford, CA 94305
joeberry at biosphere.stanford.edu

An Answer:
Here is one way to look at it: Chlorophyll's absorption is at
wavelenths <700 and >400 nm. This "window" was probably prescribed by
the chemistry of the primordial oceans. These are thought to have
contained high concentrations of Fe+2 ion (which absorbs strongly at
wavelengths >700 nm) and dissolved organic compounds (which absorb in
the blue and near UV).  Thus, chlorophyll is a pigment that "fits"
into a window of available light energy. In this sense, it is ideally
suited for photosynthesis. On the other hand, chlorophyll is green
because it dosen't completely fill the window.  This is not an
advantage, and plants have evolved a number of accessory pigments to
fill the hole in the chorophyll absorption spectrum.  These pigments
donate absorbed photon energy to chorophyll.